- Read Chapter 9
- Describe the design features of language.
- Can non-human animals use language?
- Describe the levels at which language ca be analyzed.
- Describe the process of speech production.
- Compare and contrast the theories of speech perception.
The World (extra links to go beyond the class material!)
- Project Nim
- TED Talk: Deb Roy on The Birth of a Word
- TED Talk: Patricia Kuhl on The Linguistic Genius of Babies
- TED Talk: Steven Pinker on What Our Language Habits Reveal
- TED Talk: Murray Gell-Mann on The Ancestor of Languages
- TED Talk: Mark Pagel on How Language Transformed Humanity
- TED Talk: James Geary, Metaphorically Speaking
- TED Talk: Denise Herzing: Could we speak the language of dolphins?
- TED Talk: Mark Forsyth on What’s a Snollgoster? A Short Lesson in Political Speak